Wednesday, July 15, 2015

It's the Most Wonderful Tiiiiime of the Yeeeear!

I've been off for a while... Not writing, not ranting (much), just more or less sitting on the sidelines watching our economy struggle to right its keel and get skipping along again.  Occasionally, I'd indulge in a little 'debate' on Facebook or whatever, but that's about it.  Truthfully, I got kind of bored with it all...  The budgeting, the slogging through sales and coupons, the endless fiscal vigilance one must have to ensure one is getting the most value out of every dollar.  It's tedious, and that's exactly what separates the financially fit from the flabby- discipline.  I'm back, though, largely in part to the inevitable wrenchings on my pocketbook as the wheel of the year turns....

That's right, kids.....  IT'S BACK TO SCHOOL TIME!!!



Yes, I realize today's date is a sultry July15th, however I live in the greater Chicaglamd area and my kids are back in class August 19th. The school supplies are appearing in the seasonal aisles of stores and the shoppers are already picking at them like seagulls at the beach.  In two short weeks, these towering notebook display sculptures of Maccu Piccu-esque artistry will look like the bottom of my purse.  All those Flair pens that teachers insist on including in the school supply lists will be gone. Ditto for the correct color of dry erase markers and double ditto for the preferred accordion folders.  The hassle of driving all over town trying to find this stuff later will more than negate any savings you'll get waiting for it all to go on sale.  I really wouldn't worry about that anyway... If you shop at Target for example, you can bring your receipt in up to 2 weeks after purchase for a price adjustment.

If you are in my shoes and have a college student to shop for, Bed, Bath and Beyond just sent out a 20% off coupon for your entire purchase. A word to the wise: find someone who has already done the whole freshman college year thing and ask them what you REALLY need at school.  They'll tell you which things are must haves and which were a waste of space and money. Personally, I'd put textbooks right at the top of the list, at least as a purchased item.  Unless the book is a title your student will want in their personal professional library, RENT RENT RENT. Example: sophomore year psych elective text rang in at a hefty $235 new, $189 used (if you could find a copy), and $39 to rent for the semester.  There are plenty of online resources for rental books and my favorite, Valorebooks.com, will send you a reminder and free UPS return mailing label at the end of the semester.

I'll be keeping an eye on the sales, but I'll also be keeping a very firm grip on my wallet.  Don't overbuy, and don't let the heady scent of art supplies, pristine notebooks, and bouquets of Ticonderoga pencils fog up your brain.  Buy what you need now and remember... These things make great stocking stuffers.

No comments:

Post a Comment